The First Museum to be Reopened
The reopening of the Alte Nationalgalerie in December 2001 marked the beginning of the revival of the Museum Island, and set standards in terms of architecture, preservation of historical monuments, and conceptual design. The architects’ office of HG Merz was in charge of the complete renovation.
Based on sketches by Friedrich Wilhelm IV, the museum was designed by Friedrich August Stüler between 1862 and 1865. After Stüler’s death, the construction of the impressive building was carried out by Johann Heinrich Strack. In 1876 it opened as the “Nationalgalerie.” Just as back then, sculptures and paintings from the 19th century are presented in the museum today.