The Origin of the Museum Island
The Altes Museum was Berlin’s first museum and the nucleus of the Museum Island. It was built between 1823 and 1830 by the architect Karl Friedrich Schinkel. Being one of the most important examples of neo-classical architecture, the Altes Museum was trend-setting well into the 20th century.
The Altes Museum houses the Collection of Classical Antiquities of the Staatliche Museen zu Berlin (National Museums in Berlin). Some renovation measures have already been undertaken. Complete restoration work, as envisioned in the Museum Island Master Plan, still remains to be done. The architects’ office of Hilmer & Sattler and Albrecht was commissioned to plan these restorations.