Museum Castle at the Tip of the Island
Like a castle set on a lake, the Bode-Museum rises above the Spree River at the northern tip of the Museum Island. This grand building was magnificently reopened in 2006 after several years of complete renovation carried out by the team of architects Heinz Tesar / Atelier Christoph Fischer.
The Bode-Museum was built between 1898 and 1904 by Ernst Eberhard von Ihne, and initially called the Kaiser-Friedrich-Museum. Today, it houses the Sculpture Collection of works dating up to ca. 1800 and the Museum of Byzantine Art, as well as the Numismatic Collection.
Originally, the collection of paintings and sculptures was exhibited in the Bode-Museum and, from 1930 onward, in the north wing of the Pergamonmuseum. From the point of view of the Stiftung Preussischer Kulturbesitz (Prussian Cultural Heritage Foundation) and its Staatliche Museen zu Berlin (National Museums in Berlin), a joint presentation of these two collections would be the ideal solution today as well.